Earthquake in Türkiye and Syria Appeal: $102,000 in support of the Canadian Red Cross!
March 8, 2023
February’s devastating earthquake in Türkiye and Syria left at least 50,000 people dead and 1.5 million homeless amid the rubble and harsh winter conditions.
To maximize our collective impact, the Raymond James Canada Foundation launched an internal donation-matching campaign. Our Raymond James Ltd colleagues responded immediately and with incredible generosity.
Together, we raised $102,000 in support of the Canadian Red Cross!
“At Raymond James we have a long history of reaching out to those affected by tragedy,” shares Jamie Coulter, Chief Executive Officer, Raymond James Ltd. “Unfortunately there is no shortage of natural disasters, and they all create an urgent need for relief.
“The recent earthquake in Türkiye and Syria was an absolute tragedy, and our advisors and associates stepped up in a big way. I want to thank the Raymond James Canada Foundation, our generous donors, and – most of all – the aid workers saving lives on the front lines of the disaster.”
All funds raised were directed to the Canadian Red Cross, who were able to respond immediately through their counterparts in the region.
“In the moments after the earthquakes, the Turkish Red Crescent and Syrian Arab Red Crescent were on the ground providing vital humanitarian aid like search and rescue, first aid, and medical evacuations,” shares Janet Johnson, Chief Development Officer, Philanthropy, Canadian Red Cross.
“The situation is changing rapidly and so are the humanitarian needs for food, shelter, water, blankets, as well as support for sanitation, health, and psychosocial services. Because of you, we can rally together to provide lifesaving humanitarian aid.”
Thank you to all of our Raymond James Ltd. advisors and associates for demonstrating that #RJCares.
FROM THE CANADIAN RED CROSS
Red Crescent volunteers and staff often come from the communities they respond in and have also been impacted by this disaster, yet they continue to provide vital support each day:
- The Turkish Red Crescent has mobilized over 5,000 personnel to respond to the crisis across eleven affected provinces.
- The Turkish Red Crescent is providing food service – including 80 million hot meals and clean water – health care in rural areas and in temporary shelters through six mobile clinics, and distributing vouchers to 140,000 households who have evacuated to other parts of the country.
- The Syrian Arab Red Crescent is working to target people impacted by the earthquake in Aleppo, Latakia, Hama and Tartous governorates, and has mobilized 4,000 personnel to respond.
- More than 54,000 people have received healthcare and medicines from Syrian Arab Red Crescent mobile health units, mental health teams, physical rehabilitation programs and clinics.
- Teams are working around the clock to save lives, but resources are limited as the country deals with the impact of more than a decade of war and the impact of sanctions on humanitarian efforts.
Thank you, Raymond James Ltd. Your generosity has helped those affected by the earthquake in Türkiye and Syria to receive support to meet their immediate and emerging needs.